RE: Wire gauge

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <Laifman@flash.net>, Hal436@aol.com
Subject: RE: Wire gauge
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:21:00 -0600
Actually, an ohmmeter is hard to use in this application (unless you have an
old analog one with a zero adjust), because usually the resistance is just
barely high enough to make things flakey, and it doesn't show up well on an
ohmmeter. As an example, my digital ohmmeter always shows one ohm or so even
when the leads are shorted directly together. So I have to keep that in
mind, and assume that it's accurate to within an ohm, too, when doing this
stuff. If I had a one-ohm error in the resistance and I'm trying to run a
headlight (5 amps) then there could be a 5V drop across that faulty
connection.

Use the volts setting, turn on what you're trying to fix, and measure the
voltage at each of the terminals. Typically, you should only ever see 12
volts (the battery voltage) or 0 volts, at any point in the electrical
system. If you see any other value then there's a bad ground at work.
There are exceptions: the instruments run off of 10 volts, and the sender
connections can be any value between 0 and 10 volts.

Good luck,
Theo