Re: Puzzler

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Puzzler
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:11:56 -0700
Jim,

I think the important clues are, the sound continues after the engine stops
turning and it goes away when the valve cover is removed and also at higher
rpms. These symptoms seem to point to a vacuum leak, and a noisy one in
this case, so where is it? Near the bell housing of course. A leak  at the
back of the intake manifold wouldn't take only ten seconds to fix - well
maybe a dab of the right stuff would do it. But Curtis says "the noise was
VERY clearly coming out of the bell housing", so what's left? If the PCV
valve is hooked up; i.e., then with the valve covers on and the oil fill is
plugged, then it would suck a good vacuum on the crankcase. This could
perhaps make the rear main seal "whistle". Then, removing the PCV or the
stopper in the oil fill tube would break the vacuum and, voila, no noise.
Certainly a ten-second fix, whaddya think??

Bob