Back & Puzzler & Questions

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Back & Puzzler & Questions
From: derekw@zamnet.zm
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:08:31 +0200 (ZMT)
Hi all,

I've been lurking a while since my trip to Sweden, France Spain. Saw a
British Car get together in Gothenburg and met Bengt-Eric Ericsson with his
very original Mk1 Tiger (as if I'd would know-- but he told me.) I was
impressed most by how cramped everything is under the bonnet (sorry, hood.)
Since I don't have an engine or gearbox yet, I had no idea just how bad it is!

I have my frame/body stripped and up on drums. Where, apart from spring
mounts, should I look for cracks, reinforce, replace etc.?? I already bought
all the goodies (forged pistons, cam, Edelbrock heads etc.) but now I'm a
bit worried about the small, old, lady into which I'd like to put it all.
Also, any easy front brake upgrades? Are there Wilwood calipers that fit?
While in Sweden I picked up some '89 Ford Sierra back calipers-- they look
stronger and in better shape than my old Fiat 124 calipers (and also have
the handbrake cable.)

On Curtis' puzzler, sounds like it was sucking air through the rear oil seal
and the PCV valve was the problem?

My BMW Getrag 262 gearbox (dogleg 1st, 5-speed) should be here in the next
few weeks so I'll let you all know how it goes in. It has been completely
rebuilt and has cost $640. Thanks to Alf Dragen, a Joburg tiger owner, for
doing this all for me. These boxes are becoming harder to find due to all
the Cobra kit cars being built in SA.

cheers, derek

Derek White
Managing Director