Re: traction bars

To: J&E <J&E@ontis.com>
Subject: Re: traction bars
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:50:14 -0700
J&E wrote:

>         listers
>         in normans book he says " when set up properly you can feel them
> come into play" (the traction bars).   How do you set them up?  It looks to
> me like you just bolt them on tight.  Also do you leave off the rubber
> bumpers at the front of the springs?   Thanks in advance
>
> steve   B382001622

Steve,

>From your description I believe you are talking about the LAT 6 bolt-on
traction bars, vs. the LAT 5 weld-on bars.

The "rubber bumpers" may be the rebound rubber that were on some Tigers, but
not my Mk I.  I know you must reverse the two leaf spring clamps to have the
attach screw on the top, as the bar underneath the spring would interfere, but
I believe that the rebound rubber that is on top of the spring would not
interfere unless the clamping under the bar does.

The only "adjustment" is the settled height of the springs.  I would leave the
front bar clamps loose until you have driven the car around the block to
achieve normal ride position.  At that point you can tighten the clamp around
the leaf springs.

I put a couple of pieces of neoprene rubber sheeting between the bar clamps
and the flat springs to prevent edge gouging from metal-to-metal contact.

Application of power does not result in any sudden clanking, banging, or other
sign of the presence of the bar, other than the reduction of spring wind-up
and resulting axle tramp.

One thing to remember is that these devices really reduce the influence of the
front half of the spring, stiffening up the ride and making it a little more
choppy even without power application.  But , IMHO, it's worth it.

See the "Factory LAT Options" section, listed under side navigation bar "Parts
and Service", on:

http://www.TigersUnited.com

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/