Amps?

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Amps?
From: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:55:04 -0400
Ok, the battery is new, and generator seems ot have filled it up. I have
both a Smiths voltmeter and the Lucal ammeter.  I can see the system
voltage seem to drop, but the ammeter goes from very slight charge, to
discharge at about the load that I am drawing (headlights on).  The
thing is that the ammeter is bouncing all over the place from about zero
to the load current, several times a second intermittently.  Eventually
it comes back to around zero.

Other info:  At Idle, the headlights are noticeably pulsing in
intensity, about like the ammeter is flickering.  The generator was
rebuilt by me only a couple thousand miles ago, and there are no brush
sparks visible, as there were when it died.  The regulator was replaced
at the same time as the generator job.  All battery, generator, and
regulator connections were tight and appear clean.

I've been fighting with a dying battery for the last few years, and this
is the first season I've had a good one in quite a while.  Maybe I've
just forgotten how the system acts with a full battery.  I can remember
the battery voltage dropping and the amps dropping to around zero when
the battery fills up, but I don't remember the intermittent pulsing, or
the generator appearing to completely shut down for a bit.

This just happened tonight, so I haven't had time to put a good
voltmeter on it yet.

Does this sound normal or do I maybe have a dying regulator?

Stu