Re: Rust Preventatives

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Rust Preventatives
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:53:25 -0400
Tom, you can use POR-15 on the underside of your car, without top coat.
It is a tough finish.  If you want anything other than black, you have
to add the color while the POR-15 is tacky, or use a top coat, then the
final paint.

Be warned, if you don't get it off your skin, be prepared to wear it
till it rubs off.  You must also use it up as it is time sensitive if
opened.  Use a plastic sheet, to seal if the top is opened, and this
extends the can life.

This is tough stuff, and I have used if for the underside of a
commercial steel swimming pool, that needed to stop the rust due to
water drainage from the deck on top of an apartment building.  We sand
blasted the underside, as it was in bad shape, then POR-15 everything.
We used a lot of gallons, and after 4 years it looks new.  Of course it
was not on the road like a car.  I did my suspension, rear springs, and
rear end with POR-15, and like the stuff.

Larry