Re: Installation of Radiator

To: cmclendon@mindspring.com, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Installation of Radiator
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:22:04 -0700
Cecil,

I also have a Ron Davis radiator and am using an aftermarket fiberglass fan
that does not protrude forward more than its own thickness beyond the water
pump mounting flange. This fan can be mounted fairly easily after the
radiator is installed. I believe Cullen Bennett also has a RD radiator with
the big Maverick fan on his Tiger with air conditioning, so it is possible
for this combination to work. I measure just 3/4" clearance between the end
of the water pump shaft and the radiator core of my Tiger. It is also
possible to move the engine back some, perhaps 1/4-1/2", without doing any
serious modifications. There seems to be a bit of variation between Tigers
in this regard. How much clearance would there be in your case with the new
radiator? Cullen may have given his clearance way back when, but if so I
don't recall. I just have the impression from earlier discussions that
there is some variation that may be the result of tolerances in chassis
construction, motor mounts, etc. I think Cullen's comments would be more
helpful if he's available.

Good luck,

Bob