Re: 260 Rebuild - Valve Stem Seals

To: CE25593@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 260 Rebuild - Valve Stem Seals
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 07:43:08 -0700
Bob,

Welcome to the List Bob. Your question raises a related one, which is, if
the engine is really a 260, are they 260 heads as well? Not many people
would spend a lot of money on reworking the small 260 heads for
performance. On the other hand, they do make good "economy" heads, it
that's what you are after. The valves and the intake passages are smaller
on the 260 heads, and I think the chamber volumes are less too, compared
with most 289 and 351 heads.

There has been some discussion on the List as to the wisdom of using valve
stem seals, especially on the exhaust valves, the theory being that
lubrication is good. Of course, burning oil isn't good, so there is a bit
of a contradiction here. If you want to install the good Teflon stem seals,
then the valve guide bosses have to be machined for them. There may be a
better seal that doesn't require machining, but I can't offer any advice
here. I have always used the Teflon seals on my engines and have been happy
with the results. I am curious about what happens without stem seals and if
you really need them on the exhaust side if the guide clearance is tight.
Since you are in San Diego, I'll suggest you take the heads to my favorite
machine shop, Floyd's Automotive Machine Service at 4603 El Cajon Blvd.
((619) 284-7333. Richard, the owner (and Floyd's son) is a no-nonsense
machinist that does quality work at a very reasonable price. He can
probably diagnose the problem and suggest the best course of action.

Good luck,

The other "Bob in San Diego"