RE: Boss 302 rod bolts

To: <derekw@zamnet.zm>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Boss 302 rod bolts
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:30:31 -0700
Derek,

Even if you use these bolts on HiPo 289, Boss 302, or 351W rods, the rods
have to be reamed slighly to fit. If you have standard 289 (5/16") bolts,
then definitely DO NOT machine these out to 3/8"!! That would seriously
weaken the rod. I believe the ARP bolts are not really made to replace the
HiPo 289 bolts, which have rectanglar shaped heads for the broach-faced rods
instead of the oval heads for the spot-faced Boss rods. I can't really
advise you on the advisability of using the ARP rods for the HiPo 289 rods.
I would guess that it is not really recommended, but it wouldn't compromise
the strength to any serious degree like putting them in standard 289 rods
would. Unfortunately, ARP doesn't offer replacement bolts specifically for
HiPo 289 rods, BTDT. I chose to use the standard HiPo bolts for my motor.
Since you have already balanced the engine using, I presume, the stock bolts
for reference, then there could be a very minor effect. I would think the
difference in weight could be negected since you are adding the same weight
to all rods. This leaves the motor still nominally "balanced", but with the
center slightly shifted. From what little I know about balancing engines, I
believe there is some latitude in just how you balance an engine in this
regard and it may vary with your balancer's personal preference or the way
his machine is set up. In any case, I don't think this is the issue to focus
on.

Maybe some else will have some advice on traveling in the US without a
credit card. Are debit cards allowed in Zambia?

Good luck,

Bob