Re: RHD to LHD

To: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Subject: Re: RHD to LHD
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:58:39 -0700
The other conversion  issue, at least on Tigers, is the Servo mount.  On
the LHD cars, the servo is mounted on a platform welded between the
inner fender well and the firewall on the right side of the car.

On the RHD models it is mounted on the opposite fender, and the
hydraulic line routing and vacuum hose routing is different.  I am not
sure where the distribution block for the hydraulic lines is located on
the RHD cars, but it's on the right side on the  LHD cars, as is the
attached brake light switch and wiring.

These are ot "big deals", but they must be dealt with.

Of course the steering rack and shaft are opposite, as are the pedal
mechanisms and hydraulic master clutch and brake cylinders, but the
clutch operating slave stays the same. The carb operating line goes to a
different location, which needs the appropriate linkage to get it over
to the left side of the carb.

The dash and wiring, of course, are a complete redo, unless you don't
mind asking your passenger how fast you are going, and what the RPM is.
You'll at least see the fuel level drop easier, and the glove box will
be handy. {9->.  It will probably take that new burl dash you've been
wanting.  You can't just reverse the board an laminate it, as there are
large cut-outs behind the switches on the wrong side.  The wire loom may
be able to be "flopped" around, but I am not sure you don't need the one
loomed for the other side.

My own observations, I never did it, as I got used to having the wheel
on the wrong side,  It wasn't all that easy, though, and you did get
some strange looks (in those days) when there were no turn signals, and
you used your arm.  Never knew which arm to use or in what direction, as
the "book" said "left hand down for stop", left hand pointed straight
out for left turns, and bent up for right turns.  Being that the right
hand is inside the car, now one would know what it meant, or why the
"passenger" was waving his hand about, and where the h-ll was the
driver??

Finally just signaled with the right hand on the RHD car, and hoped.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/