Various topics

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Various topics
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 18:09:44 -0600
Hi all,

Being on vacation I'm only getting the digest whenever it comes out, so
my input to the list is probably late but hopefully still somewhat
useful.

1. Chris' missing problem at high RPM: First off, get some real spark
plugs. Bosch or NGK make real plugs, and I agree with Bob that the
split-fire thing is probably snake oil.
If you find the miss only happens at high RPM under load (i.e. if you
sit in the driveway and rev it up it's okay) then it could still be a
fuel delivery problem, so you should still check the needle and seat,
main jets, etc. if you can't find anything in the ignition system.
Second, make real sure that your plug wiring is properly arranged. If
you've got a late model 5.0 with the 351 firing order, then do whatever
they say, and if it's the early firing order, keep 7 and 8 apart, and
only cross them at right angles if you do have to. If you have Lucas
plug wires (those %&*$ blue silicone things) or the Accel yellow ones
toss them out and get some real wires. Moroso and Magnecor make good
ones.
If you're using the stock tach then it can't be contributing to the
misfire because it's only connected to the ignition system through the
current-loop sensing transformer, which can't do anything to the
ignition. If your tach is connected to the coil (-) then it could be,
but you can drive the car where the miss happens, then disconnect the
tach and see if the miss goes away.

2. Rande's mice in the garage: Get a cat! Here in Calgary, the only
people who have rodent problems are the ones that don't have little
tigers at home, and are asinine enough to enforce the bylaw that says
you shouldn't let your cat out (i.e. they force the neighbors to keep
their cats inside).

I've cooked up a new set of electronics for the Smiths/Jaeger tach that
replaces the circuit board inside the tach, specifically aimed at the
MSD tach output (since that's what I'm putting in my Tiger right now),
but it should also work if connected to the coil (-), and with a bit of
work, using the original tach's current transformer. When I have it
tested I'll publish more details.

Regards,
Theo Smit