RE: Electronic Speedometer?

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Electronic Speedometer?
From: "Smit, Theo" <theo.smit@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:53:39 -0700
I agree with Stu on the cost/effort part, although the current performance
of my speedometer means I will have to do SOMEthing in the future... The
problems with doing an electronic speedo/odometer are (a) the part where the
mechanicals meet the electronics and vice versa (gotta drive that odometer
somehow, in an accurate way), and (b) making the electronics bulletproof
enough to survive years of heat, moisture, vibration, and electrical
glitches. In my recent tach guts redesign (still haven't tested it... maybe
this weekend) about half the parts were there just for voltage regulation
and protection from spikes.

Hmmm... use a Hall sensor pickup on the wheel studs... programmable counter
to drive a solenoid to advance the odometer... a tach meter movement for the
speedo... yeah, that's it... some Tardis paint to make it all fit inside the
case...

Theo