5.0 L conversion

To: Alpdavegre@aol.com
Subject: 5.0 L conversion
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 19:56:08 -0500
Hi Group.  Several people have asked for the part numbers for the crank
pulley, when using an later 5.0 L engine to replace the earlier 260 and
289 engines.  I used a 1990 Mustang engine, that bolts right up to the
stock motor mounts.

The crank pulley is much longer, going towards the front of the car, and
interfering with the R&P assembly.

I kept the stock 1990 5.0 L engine intact, using the stock timing cover,
crank dampener, and changed the crank pulley, and aligned the water
pump, and 1 wire GM alternator to the crank pulley.  What I used was.

1.  A March billet alum crank pulley for a 460 Ford, with zero offset.
They did not put a part number on the invoice.  The tele number is area
code 734 or 313 for Westland, MI and then 729-9070.  The cost is $65
plus S&H.  Quality piece.  Bolts right up the to newer crank.

2.  I used a new water pump on this engine, as the flow is reversed on
the serpentine belt motor, and the water pump must be changed to put the
outlet on the correct side for the Tiger radiator, and for the water to
flow in the right direction with the stock crank pulley, water pump, and
alternator arrangement.

I purchased a new alum water pump for a 1969 Fairlane 302.  This bolts
right up to the newer engine.

You will have to remove the pump hub, grind off the semicircular portion
of the hub, reverse the hub on the water pump shaft, so that you can
press it on the shaft further, to allow the hub to be further back on
the water pump.  This movement of the hub towards the rear is necessary
to align the hub and stock water pump pulley with the new crank pulley.

3.  The third pulley that I aligned is the 1 wire GM alternator pulley.
The alignment of this pulley is made by bending the alternator bracket
to align the alternator pulley with the crank pulley, which is the base
line for all other pulleys.

I used a stock Ford stamped steel bracket for the Ford alternator, and
adapted it to match the GM alternator.  The Ford bracket is triangular
in shape, and is very common on earlier Ford engines.

I purchased my GM alternator and Ford chrome bracket from JC Whitney.
Sorry, I could not find the part numbers, but just look in the catalog,
and you will see the part, or just go to the junk yard, and pick one up
for a couple of dollars.

You will have to use a hammer on the bracket to adjust it to align the
alternator with the crank pulley.  Sounds crude, but it works and it is
a solid bracket, that will look stock on the engine.  Once you bolt it
up to the water pump bolts, you will see what is necessary in spacers,
and alignment bumps with the hammer.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Larry