Harrington History HELP !! (fwd from Alpine list)

To: tigers@autox.team.net, AlpineDriver@aol.com
Subject: Harrington History HELP !! (fwd from Alpine list)
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:58:09 EST
Old timers,
    Here is a question that was on the Alpine list.  I remember Stony Barnes
bought this car either in Nevada or possibly Colorado, in the mid to late
1970's.  His purchase was well documented in the San Francisco based Sunbeam
Alpine Club of the time, but unfortunately I tossed away my newsletters from
that Club many years ago.  Thanks for the memories and any help will be
appreciated.
    Please reply to:    AlpineDriver@aol.com  (Rob Carpenter)
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle

I need help from California people, I think particularly in San Diego, for
the history on the Harrington LeMans I acquired in May.

I got the car from the estate of Jann Helzer.  He operated Sports and
Imports in Tacoma, WA for many years and raced a Series V.   He purchased the
Harrington LeMans from Stony Barnes who I understand was from California,
(San Diego??).

My problem is the seller (trustee) did not have a title so all I have is a
"lost title affidavit" but the Washington DMV cannot find the car in their
records.  I have recently learned that the car was seen at Jann Helzers
Tacoma store in pretty much its current condition in 1979.  Its condition is
without an engine so it is possible that Jan never titled it in Washington as
it was not a runner.  That would place its last title in California.

Does anyone down there remember anything about the car or Stony Barnes
ownership????   If I can place it down there and verify his sale to Jann
Helzer then I can possibly get good title through California instead of
taking it to the Washington DMV and having them remove the VIN number.

Thanks,

Rob Carpenter, Seattle      Please reply to:    AlpineDriver@aol.com
Series V
Harrington LeMans