Re: Veneered Dash

To: DJoh797014@aol.com, rootes1@best.com
Subject: Re: Veneered Dash
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:34:38 EST
In a message dated 11/26/00 1:59:52 PM, DJoh797014@aol.com writes:

>When I look at an original color sales brochure and my
>dash (original with vintage cracks), they look exactly alike.
>It a burled something that appears to be too 'yellow?" for
>walnut.  But perhaps I am thinking of American black
>walnut and not English walnut.

The original dash is too light colored to be American Black walnut, however,
wood can be lightened by processing, such as dipping in oxalic acid, so one
can't really  tell by the color.  I believe English Walnut is still fairly
dark in color.  My dash was too dark to be clear coated Maple burl, but then
again, stain and sun aging can affect the color.  Suffice it to say that
walnut burl makes a good choice for reveneering a dash board.  There is an
article on Mark Olson's Tiger page about reveneering the dash.

Rob
Melbourne, Fl