More Miata...

To: Tiger News Group <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: More Miata...
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:51:13 -0500
I leave this group for a few days, and Miata misconceptions continue.

I've read an article about  a 302cid being dropped into a stock Miata a
few year ago. I regarded it as being in the same league as a 240Z, or
914, or MB 280SL  being fitted with a V8. Sounds interesting, but I'm
not sure I would want a limited production car like that for a daily
driver. I don't know much at all about the "Monster Miata". Initially,
calling that a Miata would be like calling Dick Barkers LeMans coupe
just a Tiger, in the process slighting the LeMans coupe, the regular
Tiger, and the stock Miata.

The success of the Miata is in the total package, how well everything
relates to everything else. Unless Jensen were assembling V8 versions of
it for Mazda, I fail to see how just dumping a V8 into one would improve
it overall. It's not the same relationship as the Alpine and Tiger.

For Pete S. to imagine that the Miata is another little Japanese
econobox for some high school angel, consider this. I'll bet that should
he decide to buy one for his daughter, somewhere between the dealership
and the driveway, the Miata will become his daily driver, instead. Yea,
it's for your daughter if she's Lyn St. James or Denise Mc Cluggage. Own
one and you'll understand. It really is a Lotus Elan without  Lucas and
oil leaks.