Speedometer, Tach, SS, Fuel Tank, etc

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer, Tach, SS, Fuel Tank, etc
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:03:02 -0500
Folks,
        Finally got back to the Tiger mail list, only had
212 messages.  Been busy doing other things.
        Replaced the lower 13" of the Tiger II  body with
stainless steel.  This includes all of the various
pieces inside the panels.  Used a MIG with SS wire for
most of the welding after my TIG broke.  Forming the
SS flat sheet into 3D curves took a bit of work.
        Replaced my speedometer and Tach with a 160 Mph,
and a 8000 RPM from Autometer. They have black faces
and are slightly smaller than the Tiger parts; however
they fit perfectly in the original instrument cases
with the original outer chromed bezeland the inner
black bezel.  Had to remove the glass from the original
instrument cases and drill a couple of holes in the rear
of the cases to mount the new instruments.  Fairly
easy job.  Mount the original instrument case (with the
new instruments inserted) in the dash as usual with the
Tiger brackets.
        Happened to disconnect the instrument voltage
regulator from the framework while mucking around under
the dash. When I drove the Tiger the temperature indicated
120 degrees C while running and 110 degrees C while at
idle.  None of the wiring diagrams that I have show the
need for a ground on the case of the instrument voltage
regulator; however when I grounded the case, the temperature
went back to a steady 85 degrees C.  A bad ground on the
instrument voltage regulator may be one of the mysterious
"overheating" problems on some tigers.
        Re-contured the rear wheel wells on the front
edge while doing the SS replacements and now I am using
253-60-15 TAs on the rear.  Still have the 2.88 gears.
Still have adequate tork at low RPM to smoke the tires;
Would like a lower gear, but with the 351C 4 barrel and
the C4 auto I put in last winter, I can use the better fuel
milage.  Have 225-50-15 on the front.  Had to trim a little
bit there too.  The original Tiger II SS wheel well trim fits
both front and rear with a little tweaking of conture.
        Finally got a 21 tooth speedometer gear for the C4.
Had a 19 tooth that gave a 7 percent optomistic speed.
now I am one percent low, which is close enough.
        Noticed brake fluid on one rear tire while
replacing the speedometer cable gear.  Will have to get
new cylinders ASAP from SUNBEAM Specilities. Cleaned
and lightly honed the leaking cylinder, but I have rebuilt it
too many times. Hope it will hold until I
get new cylinders.  I had a later model Alpine rear end
that I hoped would have identical cylinders.  No luck,
the cylinder was different and had an adjustment gear
built into the end of the cylinder.  You adjust the
brakes through the hole in the drum instead of with the
square headed screw comming through the backing plate.
        Replaced my fuel tanks with a 22 gallon custom
fuel cell from Fuel Safe.  Foam filled, ballistic nylon/polester/
neopream cell with a TIG welded aluminum case.  Filler
and vent identical to NASCAR, but connected to the original
fender mount filler.  Includes a fuel sender and gauge.
Certified for FIA racing and a bunch of others orgs.
While I was at it I added a fire wall between the trunk
and the inside.  Still have plenty of space for the rag top.
Now if someone creames me in the rear end I do not expect
to burn to death right away.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others