Re: Applying POR-15 help

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Applying POR-15 help
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:41:24 -0500
Tom, one has to restore a car, to fully appreciate the real work that is
needed to do it right.  Most of the time They just go, Oh that's nice,
and then proceed to point out the only small paint chip on the car,
hidden by the Goggle Switch.  This explanation is done, while leaning on
the car, and tapping the car with their hand proudly displaying their
new Mood Ring.

But restorers have their Badges of Honor, which includes, skinned
knuckles, various cuts and abrasions on the body, paint, like POR-15
that does not come off, but must be worn off, dust and rust in the
lungs, and Most Important, an inner pride that you did it yourself.

Sell The Car, Are You Crazy!  How Many Hours, Well Gee I Don't Really
Know, but A Lot.

POR-15 is good.  I have used it in an industrial application, where it
is subjected to water all year, and after 4 years, no problem.  I used
about 80 gallons, and the customer still pays my bills.

Several points, that I am sure you know, but I will mention again.

1.  Get it of you body now, or wear it for the next 2 weeks.

2. Use cloths that you don't want to wear again.

3.  If you want any other color that the POR-15 color, you must put in
on when the POR is tacky, otherwise it will not stick.  POR does sell a
top coating that sticks, but I don't have any experience with it.

4.  It does have a shelf life.

5.  It will fade if exposed to UV, but under the car is no problem.

6.  Watch the temperature, both hot and cold.  If you paint in the sun
on a hot day, you will get brush marks.  I know.

Good luck with the project.  I will bet that you are not successful with
#1 above.  No racial tone intended or meant, but the black painters had
a lot of fun with the white painter on the industrial job mentioned above.

We brushed, we rolled, and we sprayed, with disposable garden pesticide
sprayers on vertical and overhead surfaces, and the stuff was all over
the painters, who never wanted to see the stuff again.  I works though.

Larry