Re: Applying POR-15 help

To: wittsend@jps.net
Subject: Re: Applying POR-15 help
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@scs.agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:29:21 -0800 (PST)
Tom,

I know exactly where by you speak.  I've gone through pretty much all of
what you described myself.  I even had to have one of those damned wires
surgically removed from my arm.

Anyway, regarding POR-15, which I've used a bit myself.  Here are a few
things that have worked for me that I'll pass along.  I found that I
rarely used a whole can in one session.  If that's true for you, don't
paint from the original can- you want to transfer what you think you
will need to another container and re-seal the remainder.  If you try to
seal up unused paint you've been dipping a brush into it will harden on
you in the can.  The instructions that come with the paint suggest
putting plastic wrap under the lid before pressing it back on.  If you
plan to keep what's left in the original can, by all means do this or
the only way you'll get the can open again is with an axe.

But I've came up with an alternative I like better.  Get some mason
jars.  Get several sizes if you have varying size painting jobs.
Transfer the contents of the POR-15 can to the mason jars, filling them
as far as possible.  Place plastic wrap under the lids (I use two
layers) and screw them on as tight as possible.  The fuller the
container, the longer the paint will keep.

Besides my frame I have painted most of my suspension pieces with POR-15
as well as the outsides of interior panels.  Because I didn't do all of
this painting in one session, it was nice having different size
containers to work from.  One other tip- store unused POR-15 in a
refrigerator.  I've had the stuff keep will over a year after
transferring to mason jars.

Also, where possible, use a foam brush to apply.  Get lots of them
because they wear out fast.  Wear throw-away latex gloves so you don't
get any paint on your hands.  When you're done, check yourself out
thoroughly in mirror in a well lighted area.  Keep lacquer thinner handy
to remove any paint that got onto your face, your arms, in your hair
etc., ASAP.  I also wear one of those cheapy painter's hats with the
bill cut off so I can get into close quarters without knocking the hat
off.  I found turning the hat around didn't work very will.  There are
just as many things behind you to catch the bill on as there are in
front of you.  Something else to consider is one of those stocking-like
face masks sold at some paint and hardware stores if you're really
paranoid, though I've never bothered going this far.

Have fun,

Roland