Windshield washer

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield washer
From: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:55:24 -0500
Last summer my Tiger had it's first exposure to the new improved
government mandated annual inspection.  The guy passed it even though he
said he shouldn't.  The problem?  Emissions?  Bald tires?  Floppy ball
joints?  No.  The windshield washer doesn't work.  Never did since I've
owned the car (1977).

Years back, I'd purchased another pump at one of our gatherings, but it
didn't seem to work either.  Last night I pulled it apart to see what
was inside.  The rubber bellows was in good shape but the exit check
valve was not sealing too well.  The inlet valve?  There wasn't one.

I haven't looked at the car yet (the winter garage arrangement makes it
a bit difficult to get to it) but there must be a check valve for the
inlet side somewhere else, right?  I recall that I have a little thing
that I took for a filter stuck in the washer hose just in front of the
brake booster.  Is this really a check valve?  I didn't see it in Curt'
or Rick's catalogs.

I'm thinking redesign, with an electric pump.

Any thought's anyone?  No rush, I probably won't be able to do anything
for a couple months.

Stu