Re: Public apology to Dick Barker

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Public apology to Dick Barker
From: Dick Barker <dickbarker@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 08:56:18 -0800
At 01:11 PM 01/06/2001 -0800, Tom Witt wrote:
>Dick, Maybe it was too many POR-15 fumes. The Tiger list comes in in such
>volume at time I just assumed that was the origin of your letter. My comment
>">Dick, You let the cat out of the bag! Now everyone knows just how stupid I
> >am!" was only made in joking thats why I said "(LOL)". Regardless the error
>was mine and I ask your forgiveness in my mistake. I am actually honored
>that you took interest.  At your discression you might want to sent the
>letter to the list to qwell any confusion that may have arised by my
>actions. With humble apology, Tom Witt

Listers,

What's this about?  Just a little confusion after I sent a private message
to Tom Witt, and he posted his response to the list.  At Tom's suggestion
(above), I am now posting my original message to the list so you get the
whole picture.  Here is what I said to Tom:
==========================================================>Tom,

 >I have been following your saga of the POR with some interest, because I
am >familiar with you car and realize how much work it requires.  I recall
when the >PO brought the car into Smitty's Sunbeam for an estimate of what
it would cost >to "fix it up."  Smitty asked me to look it over for the
people (man & wife) and >give them my estimate, so I did.  The more I
looked, the more depressed I got.  >So much rust and cancer, so much bent
sheet metal, so many missing parts.  >I was torn between trying to save the
poor thing, or parting it out and junking >the rest.  The man said he
didn't plan to do any work himself, but would pay >Smitty (or whoever) to
do everything for him.  (Smitty had no intention of >undertaking the
project.)  Then he sucked in his breath and admitted with >considerable
pain that he might be willing to spend as much as $5000!  Well, >you can
imagaine his reaction when I told him it would take at least $20,000 >just
to make the car safe and driveable (he drove it in to Smitty's!!), and
maybe >another $15-20K to pretty it up.  So that was the end of
that.  Afterwards the >car sat in Smitty's shop for well over a year, then
finally disappeared.  When I >asked where it went, I was told it had been
purchased by a fellow named Tom >Witt.  And now you know the rest of the story.

 >Good luck!

Dick Barker