Adjust rear brakes

To: Laifman@flash.net
Subject: Adjust rear brakes
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 19:38:57 -0500
       Steve,
        Quick check to see if you need to adjust the rear
brakes: If the emergency brake lever can be pulled up
higher than the side of the seat, you need to adjust
the rear brakes.  (Assuming you have not previously mucked
with the emegerency brake adjustment.)

 It is easy to adjust Tiger Brakes.
Take the wheel off and release the emergency brake.
There is a square head  bolt near the top of the
backing plate.  Simply screw the bolt in ( with a small
Cresent wrench until the drum does not rotate by hand.
 Back off 1 1/2 to 2 turns after that.  The bolt has
a tapered 4 sided end on it so you can feel when you
turn the bolt 1/2 turn.  The brake shoe should be very
slightly dragging after you are done.  I.e. you can hear
the contact, but  still can rotate the drum by hand.
 If you asjust too tight you will shortly have the
lining come off from the heat due to the drag.  After
you are done the emergency brake will also be adjusted.

Suggest before you adjust the brakes, screw the square headed
bolt in a bunch, pull the drum, ( I usually gently tap the
edge of the drum with a lead hammer). Check the linings, if they
are approching  1/16 " thick, replace the shoes.  Check the drums
for wear and cracking.  Turn the drums or replace as necessary.
(Alpine 5 drums fit).  Check the wheel cylinder for leaks,
If the cylinders leak, repair or replace. Change the shoes as
they will be  soaked in fluid. ( may be able to "sort of"
remove some fluid from the linings with hot water and a strong
detergent if regular brake fluid was used.) Clean backing plate
and check for leaks at the axle bearing cover plate.

At 08:55 AM 1/8/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>... I'll look into this as soon as I need to
>adjust my brake shoes.  With the usage they get I haven't done it since
>I bought the car 4, or more, years ago, and don't expect it will be any
>time soon.
>
>Good luck, and nice hearing form you again.
>
>Steve
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others