Re: Brake Tubing Flares

To: Bruce McGuire <CV_Bruce@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Tubing Flares
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:15:05 -0500
       Folks,
        Last night I tried again.  Heated up the Tiger tube
to yellow and slowly let it cool ( including very slowly
removing the flame ).
        No Luck again and the pin of the 3/16" die also broke
off.  Plan to return the tool tomorrow.  Looked at
www.snapon.com and the photos appear to be identical to
the tool I have.  I did an internet search and several
people stated that Snap-On did not make their own tool
for the double flare.  Best reports were for RIDGID double
flare tools. ( @~$149) They appear to be built different with the
horse shoe having a screw clamp in it's side instead of
two wing nuts to clamp the bar at the ends.
        I tried screwing the tube into the clamp after
it was tight.  This just gave shallow threads on my tube
that were mangled when the tube slipped, even with the
bench vice and vice-grip clamping in addition to the wing nuts.
        I was unable even to make a single flare with
with this "Performance Tool"
        I also noted that the ISO (Bubble) flare tool was
metric for 4.75 (or 4.74) mm. Could it be that the Tiger lines are metric?

4.75 mm = .187008 inch,
4.74 mm = .186614 inch (saw two different size descriptions)
3/16"   = .1875 inch
New and old Tubes measures .186" OD.
Hole in my flaring tool is .176".

At 04:24 PM 1/17/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey Guys,
>Anything Snap-On can now be purchased at www.Snap-On.com without having to
>follow that truck around.
>Still not cheap, but more convenient
>
>Bruce McGuire
>
>Steve Laifman wrote:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> Most reports on these tools are disappointing.  I have had similar
>> experiences with slipping.
>>
>> The only one that has had rave reviews was made by Snap-On.  They are
>> sold by independent Snap-On traveling van dealers to mechanics and body
>> shops, and visit them regularly.  They are NOT cheap, but they have
>> always had an excellent reputation.  I have one of their click torque
>> wrenches for over 20 years, and a set of Whitworth wrenches for even
>> longer, (haven't had much use, lately).
>>
>> Ask your local mech. when they visit and meet them with your tubing.
>> They'll demo the tool for you.
>>
>> Steve

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others