Re: Long-Backfire damage and tubing flares

To: Laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Long-Backfire damage and tubing flares
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:39:52 -0500
Steve,
        Thanks for the ideas, I will check the cam lift next.
I believe I adjusted #1 cylinder incorrectly as the valve was being held
open and I didn't have "low" compression I had ZERO compression.
The oil pump was stopped by a piece of valve stem "seal", not the valve stem.
I have hydralic lifters.  The cam is not a roller cam.
The heads have been modified for screw in studs.  The pedestal mount
was machined and a threaded hole was formed for the studs.

At 12:59 PM 1/24/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim,
>
>You are much more the expert here than I am, however you did drop a few
>"clues" along the way.  Perhaps they have already occurred to you, and
>you have eliminated them as a cause.  But, here are some things I think
>I recall.
>
>1) You mentioned valve adjustment.
>2) You mentioned low compression, in cyl. #1, which recovered when the
>valves were adjusted. (I don't know if you have solid or hydraulic
>lifters)
>3) You mentioned the oil pump breakage difficulties traced to a piece of
>valve stem from "Cyl. #1"
>
>I don't know how far you've taken this, but your performance
>difficulties may be traced to the valve train.  If #1 was mal-adjusted,
>perhaps it never properly closed, and opened too far on the cam, causing
>unusual angles with the rocker and damaging the stem.  Maybe some
>internal contact bent the valve, as well.  Maybe some others are in
>similar shape, but your compression sounded OK. And, Cullen had an
>interesting thought about the condition of the cam.  If the low end is
>badly worn, and the clearance is made there, would the full lift then be
>higher than normal, putting strange angles on the valve train geometry?
>
>I have also been told, but have no rational understanding of it, that
>the older stud rocker support was structurally a good deal better for
>modified engines than the later pedestal mounts (providing the were
>threaded and high strength).
>
>Well, it's just a thought for evaluating.  I've had similar performance
>issues from a bad valve closure.
>

>Steve
>
>--
>Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
>B9472289              < important in your life     >
>                         < and don't let it get away!>
>
>http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

>                            _/
>                     _/_/_/