Throttle Assembly

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Throttle Assembly
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:56:39 -0500
Folks,
        As part of my search for the cause of the
backfire, I decided to replace my non-linear throttle
linkage with the stock Tiger Setup. The non linear
setup would allow me to start up from a street light
without smoking the tires when I still had the 4 speed in.
 I.e.  I could push the peddle down a 1/2" and drive normally.
I had the feeling that the slow acting non-linear linkage was
not allowing the accelerator pump to give a big enough shot
of gas at minimum peddle movement.  I thought that the linear
stock setup might work better for a bigger accelator
pump shot.  The C4 automatic I have in there now does
not have the instant acceleration I had with the manual
transmission, so I could go back to non-linear linkage.
        Previously I had modified the stock Linkage
and found that the lever (which is clamped with a bolt)
would slip on the shaft when dual carb return springs
were used.  I brased the lever to the shaft many years
ago.  Well, with the "UOS" throttle linkage I found the
same problem.  After 20 or 30 attempts to adjust the
lever on the rod, it still slipped.  I finally brased
the lever on the rod.  Waiting for the paint to dry
at the moment.

        By the way, I also have a peddle stop to keep from
forcing the throttle after WOT.

        Brasing the lever to the rod will keep it from
slipping, but it is a problem to adjust the linkage if
it is not correct when brased.
        The hole in the lever for the linkage was well worn
so I gas welded it up and drilled it out to the needed size.
That took a bit of slop out of the setup.

        The question is:  Am I the only one who has had
problems with the lever on the throttle assembly slipping
on the shaft? What solutions have been used.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others