Re: Amp Guage Help

To: Mark Fridenstine <laceyf@crosslink.net>
Subject: Re: Amp Guage Help
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:36:33 -0500
Hi Mark

Don't splice into the wire.  Find the end at the starter solonide,
disconnect it.  Bring the two wires from the ammeter to the solonide.
Terminate them in ring terminals like the brown wire's.  One goes where
the brown wire went, the other connects to the brown wire with a 3/8"
bolt.  Insulate the new bolted conection well with electrical tape.
The mod is fully reversible.

NB  Be sure to disconnect the battery while doing this mod.
    This circuit is directly connected to the battery and can supply
    welding like currents.  A slipped tool or wire can easily burn
    right through the nearby clutch master cylinder.

No 10 AGW wire should be fine if you have a stock 30A Generator.
If you have upgraded to a larger Alternator, a larger wire size may
be needed.

I am not sure where the smaller wire is located. If it comes from the
ammeter it may be for the internal light bulb.  If it is the bulb,
it goes to the same lighting circuit as the other gauge lamps.

                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754

<Listers:
<    If I was hooking up a new guage, where there was a plug before. Do I
<use 10 or 12 guage auto wire to splice in the BROWN wire in the
<harness?  Can I use the blades on the guage or should I use the posts? I
<also have another small wire from one of the posts, what is this
<for?        Thanks in advance. Mark