Finding out what a Tiger can do

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Finding out what a Tiger can do
From: "Rose, Mark" <mrose@ou.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:58:20 -0600
Listers-

This is more a story of finding out what a Tiger can do. My wife listened
patiently as I excitedly told her my findings but she really didn't
appreciate the full extent of it. I figured you would appreciate it. If you
don't care about a newbie and his story, please delete.

So I started this project last April with a car that was my father-in-laws.
It was something called a Sunbeam Tiger which I had never heard of. The
motor had already been rebuilt and had sat wrapped up on the stand for the
last five years. The transmission was in the corner and the body of the car
on jack stands. Since I had no experience with cars whatsoever, I figured it
would be a good challenge to put these pieces together and make a car. How
hard could it be? Was I surprised at the amount of work, time and blood it
has taken to this point. Thanks to the people on this list and local OKC
folks that have helped out with suggestions.

Anyway, here's the exciting stuff that happened last night. The car has been
running for the last three weeks. I would take it out, stretch its legs and
then come back and see what had broken or what was leaking. The broken
things/leaks had gotten fewer and fewer within the last week so I started
the fine tuning process. Last night, after chasing down some electrical
problems and fitting an electrical fan on the radiator, my cousin and I
worked on the carburetor. He knew that this motor should be performing at a
higher level than it was but couldn't figure what was wrong. We then checked
the throttle cable(after-market cable) and found out when the accelerator
was pushed all the way to the rubber, we were only using 1/4 of the
carburetor. !!?! After a quick adjustment and rotation of the accelerator
bar, we took it out for a test run. Scary fast! I thought before it was
pretty good - and that was with only a quarter of the carb(The secondarys
were not even kicking in). After racing around town on the highways, we had
to go to bed. I run in, wake my wife up and tell her the whole story as she
says that's nice and goes back to sleep.

If you got to this point, thanks for reading and sharing my excitement!!
Mark

Mark Rose
Team Quest Learning Services
www.OUropes.ou.edu