Re: Valve lash

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: Valve lash
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:53:42 -0500
Tim,
        I have the Crane "HIgh Intensity" lifters that leak
a lot by design.  This is to provide less valve lift and
duration at low RPM to generate more tork.  No matter how I
adjust them they clack a little bit.  Crane claims that they are
not as loud as Rhodes lifters.  If so, then I sure do not want
Rhodes lifters.  The 1/2 turn after pushrod contact seems to
work just fine for me. ( When I am postive that I am on the
bottom of the cam lobe.)  Had some jerk in a late model 5L
Mustang challange me yesterday.  Even with the stock C4 automatic
and stock tork converter, I left him in the dust at about 3/4 throttle.
I guess the valve adjustments are OK.

At 10:23 AM 2/15/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>James,
>I read you lashing procedure and for what it is worth I have always lashed
>my valves twice once cold to ensure none rattle after firing and then after
>warm do it running the "zero" lash method where you loosen each rocker until
>it "clacks". Then tighten down until the clacking until it just stops and go
>an addition 1/8 to < of a turn and then repeat for each valve. The only
>caution is that you now lose the hydraulic "rev" control where the lifters
>pump up and hold valves open limiting engine speed. The issue is that with
>the valves zero lashed if you rev at high RPM in the range of valve float
>you will be beating your cam and potentially hitting a piston with a valve.
>Every performance engine I have ever built regardless of brand has been
>"zero" lashed if it had adjustable rockers and a Hydraulic cam with
>excellent success.
>Regards,
>Tim Ronak

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others