Shifter Over Here

Subject: Shifter Over Here
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:24:57 -0800
Here's another couple of questions for the list. My electric choke did
not work this morning. Key on, pedal down to the floor once, starter,
and no choke operation. The choke butterfly did not want to close.
(Checked the voltage and 12 volts are making it to the choke, although
this seems a mechanical problem). I noticed that the red choke "cam"
behind the electric choke was pressed all the way up to where it was
pressed into that "tube" right behind the choke, if that makes sense. I
pressed it off the "tube" so it moves freely but, this morning, anyway,
the choke butterfly would not close. I've done nothing to the
carb/linkage that would affect it (I don't think I have, anyway) since
it worked the day before. I wonder if I need to only depress the gas
pedal about halfway to the floor, not all the way, and maybe pressing
the red "cam" all the way up somehow throws the proper sequence off. I
hobe my jabbering makes some kind of sense as I know it's hard to
describe over the computer. Is there anything obvious to look for in the
linkage?

The new carb. does have, on the throttle side of the carb, some kind of
automatic trans. "kick down" lever that kind of flops around, since its
not connected to an automatic cable. I wonder if that could somehow have
affected the choke mechanicals.

Finally, does anyone have a good source for shifter mechinisms. The one
I got with my five speed is pretty notchy. The tail housing is from a
Chevy S-10 truck, not a Ford, although the rest of the trans. is a Ford
unit, so I guess I need a Chevy shifter mechanism. I've looked at the
B&M and Hurst catalogues and they have Chevy truck shifter mechinisms
but the shift levers are way too long, being for floor shifting on a
truck. Are there any other companies that make 5 speed shifters out
there?

Thanks!

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A 289/5 Speed, (finally back from the paint/body shop and with a
new soft top today!)