New pinion seal leak

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: New pinion seal leak
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:09:16 -0800
A while back I went through my rearend (ahh --- that is the cars, I can't
bend quite that far) and in the process replaced the pinion seal. Needing
room in the garage (and not ready to install) I put it in the trunk of one
of my storage cars. The flange end was facing down into the tire well. A few
months later I happened to notice that the gear oil used in assembly had
leaked onto the trunk floor. At first I thought the seal was leaking where
it contacted the flange, but I found no evidence it was coming from there as
that area was completely dry. I had also polished the flange shaft with 600
grit and greased the seal prior to installation.  As best I can tell it
seems to have come from the mating point of the outer end of the seal and
the case based on the location of the dripping (gear oil was only on the
outside end of the seal and none was found across it). On inspection though
I could not see why. The seal seemed to make good contact with  the case and
I installed it with RTV. I do not see any cracks or porosity in the case.
Any help would be appeciated. Thanks Tom B9470101