ZZZZZZZOOOOOOM!

Subject: ZZZZZZZOOOOOOM!
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:05:57 -0800
This list is awesome! Thanks for the suggestions on my slight
"sputtering" at any steady speed in the Tiger, and the latest ones
today.

I sprayed some WD 40 around the base of the manifold and the carb today
(as per a suggestion to see if there is a manifold or carb base leak)
but did not get any change in RPM in doing this. Did I do this the right
way? Any other more precise ways to check for vacuum leaks? The idle
stayed steady at around 800 RPM where I've set it. James Barrett
suggested my idle mixture might be set rich, covering up a leak at idle
but I don't think so. I've got both screws out about 1 1/4 turns which I
don't think is too much, or is it?

Michal's suggestion about timing is the next thing I'll check as I have
not done this since I got the new motor in. (Now that I think of it, I'd
better check to make sure the distributor, and everything else is
tightened down properly as the manifold bolts were very loose. I hope I
didn't cause a leak myself when I snugged down the manifold!) As a
matter of fact, I'm starting to have trouble starting the car hot (it
starts instantly cold) so I wonder if the timing is in fact wrong, or
the distributor, which is apparently an original Ford/Tiger optional
piece and 35 years old, is slipping around or wobbling inside . I'm also
going to check the point gaps (dual point distributor).

Speaking of distributors anyway, I'm definitely going to go electronic
eventually, and will probably get a new distributor since I want a
vacuum advance to help a bit with mileage. I've looked at a couple of
distributors that are completely self contained, including a coil right
on top of it.  The one I'm leaning toward is called D.U.I. (kind of
funny!) but actually stands for Davis Unified Ignition. Check it out at
performancedistributors.com   I think MSD has a similar unit too. Has
anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks again!!!!

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A