Re: Timing and marks

To: mbb <2mbb@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Timing and marks
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:07:07 -0500
Mark.  I used a tried and true method that's also cheap.

1.  Get an old spark plug and knock out the innards, leaving only the
metal shell.

2. Weld a bolt on the end that goes into the engine, being careful not
to damage the threads.

3.  Smooth off all sharp edges on the bolt, so that it is rounded.

4. Insert the new plug into #1 hole.

5. Carefully turn engine over by hand, till bolt just hits/touches piston.

6.  Mark position on harmonic balancer.

7.  Reverse direction and turn by hand carefully till it hits/touches
piston again.

8.  Half way in between is top dead center.

I used a stick on degree tape, after cleaning the harmonic balancer, and
now have an accurate mark.

Good Luck.

Larry