Re: Transmission Rumblings

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission Rumblings
From: johnc@nait.ab.ca
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:01:35 -0700
Steve:
My son works as a wrench at a GM garage. One of the diagnostic tools that
they have is called "a chassis analyzer".
It consists of a small battery powered amplifier connected to five
microphones with about 25 feet of wire to each. To track down a sound you
attache the five mikes to the suspected area. They have attached magnets so
this does not take long. The wires are all run to the passenger seat were
the operator can listen on a set of earphones. The amp has five switches to
turn on each mike. By switching from one mike to the next it only take a
moment to determine where the loudest sound comes from. You then stop, move
the mikes around the loudest source and repeat the process. It is amazing
how fast you can center in on a problem. This is not an expensive GM
diagnostic tool but looks like something that you might buy from J.C.
Whitney. Perhaps you can find a local body shop that has a similar devices.
Alternately you could easily make one for yourself. I am so impressed with
this little tool I am going to build myself one as it has an amazing number
of applications.
Godspeed
Jc