Re: [Fwd: Don Adams Title]

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Don Adams Title]
From: Dick Barker <dickbarker@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:30:23 -0800
At 08:14 PM 03/31/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone:
>
>Steve will try to scan the copy of the pink slip again.  In case it does not
>work, the info is:
>Date Issued:    10/16/67
>CA Lic:            TPG 102
>Eng. ID:            3802219
>Make:                Roots (either DMV doesn't know how to spell or it is an
>abbreviation)
>Body Type:        RDSSBTIG
>Registered Owner:    Adams, Don
>                                 c/o Licht #430 (the #430 was hand written)
>                                 9171 Wilshire Bl
>                                 Beverly Hills  California

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi

Jane,

Sorry to keep bugging you, but as a result of your post revealing some of
the title information on your old Tiger, I have some more observations and
questions for you.

The first obvious thing is that, as usual, the State of California seems to
have successfully muddled much of the info on the title for your old
car.  (BTW,  CA does titles all Sunbeams as "Roots"---it's an
abbreviation).  But hidden in there is a little ray of light.  Even though
the engine ID isn't anywhere close to the number system used by Rootes, my
guess is that it might represent elements of  a chassis
number.  Specifically B382002219LRXFE.  So I checked the Book of Norman,
and guess what?  Right there on pages 306/7 it lists the owner of that
vehicle as good ole Steve Sage of Woodland Hills, CA.  Also, it lists the
engine number as 7246-B19KC, the color code as 39 (Carnival Red), and the
license plate as "Tigrr 66" (I'm surprised you didn't remember that!)

I consider it highly unlikely that the remarkable correlation between the
information in the BON and that listed on your old title scrap is
coincidental, and therefore conclude that if the car you once owned was
B382002219, it could not possibly be either 1) the car leased to Paramount
Studios and used in the Get Smart TV series, or 2) Don Adams personal
Tiger.  According to records released by International Automobiles/Ian
Garrad, (and now recorded in TIROST) the chassis number of the Tiger leased
to Paramount Studios was B9470310LRXFE.  And although the ID elements of
Adam's personal Tiger are not know, a photo of him driving the car clearly
shows that it was an early MK I with a round-corner hood and
door.  Therefore, it would also have a chassis number in the B947XXXX series.

I cannot speak to the question of the identity of the registered owner
listed on your old title.  Perhaps it was not THE Don Adams of Get Smart,
but simply someone with the same name who lived at a Beverly Hills
address.  (Can anyone confirm a home address for Don Adams of Get
Smart?)  To me, this is more likely the real coincidence of your old
title.  Having said that, I will say no more on the matter.

Think back.  Did your red Tiger have a square corner hood?  Did the soft
top stow under a vinyl cover, or were there 3 metal doors?  Were there
fresh air vent knobs under the dash?  Did you ever skin you knuckles while
cranking the windows?  Can you remember the style of the upholstery?  Were
there waist rolls on the tops of the doors?  SUNBEAM letters above the
grille?  A Chrysler pentastar badge on the R.H. front fender.?  Etc., etc.,
etc.  In other words, was it a MK I or a MK IA?

Scan you title, post it, whatever.  Sorry, but I don't think you ever owned
the Get Smart Tiger.

Dick