Re: All Greased Up

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "SJC Worldwide" <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: All Greased Up
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:38:55 -0700
Steve,
 While no expert on the matter according to the manual the only way to
change or add fluid to the rack is to remove it from the car. There is no
provision for filling - or draining for that matter - other than to remove
the the rack (well, OK, to drain you could just pull the boot, but then
what?). From the manual Section J  Page11:
 "The steering unit cannot be topped up or filled with oil while it is
fitted to the car"
So, if when the boots were replaced the fluid was never replenished then
that is most likely the reason. As best I can tell that cap you see is
spring loaded, shimmed and provides  some form of pressure on the rack. You
should see how others respond, but you might, I say MIGHT be able to slip
loosen the upper part of the boot and with a tipped (as in soft pointed)
nozzle might be able to force fluid in. On the other hand it might pull
loose completely and drain the oil that may in fact actually be in there!!!
Since no one else has responded yet (A holiday of course) and figuring you
might be looking for info I am passing this on. Tom Witt B9470101