RE: ??????

To: "SJC Worldwide" <ssage@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: ??????
From: "Frank Marrone" <marrone@wco.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:54:46 -0700
Steve,

I assume the car was not running during these tests?  When running the
system voltage should be around 14.5V if your alternator is good.  Not
running, probably around 12.5.  I know there is a "voltage regulator" on the
dash gauge circuit but the change in system voltage could be the culprit.
Aluminum is actually not that poor of a conductor so I doubt that it the
problem although dirt or corrosion on the thread surfaces might contribute
to a less than perfect ground connection.  On the otherhand a poor ground
would result in a lower than actual temp reading so that doesn't make sense
anyway.

I'm not sure if Marks site is back on line but here is some temp sender data
that is either from Marks site or data I collected myself...

TEMP (F)        OHMS            TEMP (C)        OHMS
212.0   19.6            100.0   19.6
201.2   36.0            94.0    36.0
197.6   36.9            92.0    36.9
194.0   38.2            90.0    38.2
190.4   39.5            88.0    39.5
186.8   41.1            86.0    41.1
183.2   42.9            84.0    42.9
179.6   44.6            82.0    44.6
176.0   46.4            80.0    46.4
167.5   49.7            75.3    49.7
155.7   56.7            68.7    56.7
147.9   63.0            64.4    63.0
139.5   74.0            59.7    74.0
135.0   79.8            57.2    79.8
121.1   84.6            49.5    84.6
75.7    207.0           24.3    207.0

You can see that higher ohms equals lower temps but higher voltage would be
like lower ohms to the gauge so the temps would read higher.

Frank