Re: sway bars

To: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>
Subject: Re: sway bars
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 13:21:52 -0400
At 09:59 PM 5/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>Does anyone have any idea where I can get front sway bars thicker than 7/8"
>?  Please contact me off list.
>Thanks,
>Ray McCrary
>"Speed is Life;
>of course Luck and Altitude
>are helpful, too."

       Ray,
        I have a 1" bar on my Tiger II.  Unfortunually, I have no
source as It was in a bunch of used Tiger parts I bought several
years ago.  However, here is my experience with the bar:

        It is extreamly difficult to mount if you use the existing
sway bar clamps.  I used a section of radiator hose around the bar
as the sway bar "bushing" .  Very difficult to compress the bushing
so that the clamps line up with the bolt holes.  Very flat ride
with the bar in the normal position.  Not long before the clamps
tore the slot out of the lower A arms inner slots.  Re-welded
 and added a strap on the outside edge of the slots.  Tore out
again a few times.
        Decided that bar was simply too stiff for the original
mountings.  Welded two brackets to front of cross member and used
two big sway bar clamps ( for a Dodge Truck) along with the rubber
1" ID bushings to mount the sway bar so it could rotate.  Used the
original Tiger clamps and the radiator hose material to mount the
tips of the sway bar at the outer A arm slot.  No longer have
rip out problems.  Tiger is not as flat around the corner, but
still much better than the original bar.
        Used the steel of Tiger Disk brake pads to fabricate the
brackets attached to the cross member. The outer pad is streight
out from the cross member with the longer length vertical.  The
other pad is at a angle that lines up with a 1/4"thick, 1" wide
steel piece that joins to the outer pad.  Two holes are tapped
into the 1/4" thick piece to mount the clamps.  A matching set
is on the other side of the cross member.  The clamps are centered
on the cross member and 14" apart.  The rear edge of the
1" sway bar is 3/4" forward of the lip on the center of the
 cross member.  The spacing  was simple to design.  Simply held
the new sway bar up against the A arms at normal ride height
and measured the distance to the center of the front cross member.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others