Holman Moody Tiger E-mails

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Holman Moody Tiger E-mails
From: "Brian Moss" <BLMoss@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 23:26:17 -0400
Listers,

My correspondence with Lee Holman regarding the H/M motor in 598 is listed
below, covering two separate e-mail exchanges.  I hope you enjoy reading
this as much as I did.

Brian

At 10:38 AM 1/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Mr. Holman,
>
>I've recently purchased a Sunbeam Tiger from Paul Sheahan in Charlotte and
moved it to Delaware.  One of the reasons I purchased this particular car
was the appeal of the Holman Moody 289 in it.  The carb on the motor
(Holley 650 cfm 4150) in in need of a rebuild, and I'd like Holman
Moody to do it, if possible. I could remove the carb and ship it to
you for the work. I'm thinking of a "Stage 2" type blueprinting and tuning,
if it hasn't already been done.

>This brings me to another subject -- I know precious little about the
motor and what's been done to it (carb prep, head work, cam specs, etc).  I
would be willing to pay for your firm to track down those details through
any paperwork you may have maintained.

>Thanks for your time,
>
>Brian Moss

Hello,

The engine was made twice because John [note: P.O. to Paul Sheahan] blew it
up the day we gave it back
to him.  Said the clutch was slipping, but he could not explain the black
tire marks from the bar  where he was drinking to the oily spot in the road
where the rod let go.

We no longer have any files on the car and Jimmy Tucker who had to work on
it both times said he would quit if that car or any part of it ever came
back in my shop.  I think he has  a point because God can not see some of
the bolts you have to get at to work on those damn cars.

Lee Holman

At 10:56 PM 2/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Mr. Holman,
>
>I wrote you a little while back about the motor you made for a Sunbeam
>Tiger.  I was hoping you could tell me if I need to be running lead
>additives in the gas.  I'd hate to be ruining the seats out of ignorance.
>Hopefully, the general time period in which you made the motor will be
>enough to determine whether it has hardened seats or not.
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Brian Moss

Hello, we think you can get away with high test unleaded gas in that
engine.  You may need to back off on the timing a little if you hear spark
knocking.

We do not mind talking about the car, it is the hands on work that is right
out--  no way--- your mama---- AND OTHER MEAN THINGS TO SHOW THAT WE DO NOT
LIKE TIGERS.

Hope that it is running well for you.

Lee Holman