Re: hard hot starting problem

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: hard hot starting problem
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:07:08 -0700
CoolVT@aol.com wrote:

> Steve and Greg,
>   When mine is hard to restart it's just the hot engine compartment  boiling
> the fuel in the bowl into the engine.  Sounds like Greg's problem.  Keep the
> throttle wide open, crank it to clean it out and it starts.
>   Seems that this has been discussed a few times in the past.  Wasn't the
> solution to either add spacers under the carb or to add a heat shield under.
> the carb?   My similar problem seems to have gone away for some reason.
> Mark L.

Mark,

There really is no room, without a LAT hood, to add anything under the
F4B high rise with a Holley, except maybe a piece of thin aluminum
shield. There is little, in the way of radiated heat, to the carb, as
the exhaust manifolds are shielded by the heads.

The fuel will evaporate on soaking while parked hot, but that just means
refilling until the SU stops clicking (or the other device fills the bowl).

If anyone is running out of float bowl gas while running, it is a bad
fuel pump. clogged lives or filters, or a carb crack/leak. Neither Dan
Eiland, or I have anything more than the gasket between carb and
aluminum manifold.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/