Windshield washer

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Windshield washer
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:42:23 -0400
 Last summer my Tiger nearly failed the state inspection because the
windshield washer didn't work.  It hadn't worked since I bought the car in
'77.  Since it's due again in August, I figured I should fix it sometime soon.
I had plans to add an electric pump, but thought I'd give one more try at
getting the original dashboard pump going.
After much time upside down under the dash, with water dripping on my face, it
is again functional.  Here's what I found.  One of the jets had a clog in the
hose just below it.  The other had a clog in the jet body, not in the little
screw in squirter.  Once these were cleared, the bellows in the pump was found
to have lost it's resiliency, and would not spring back on it's own.  I had
disassembled my spare pump to install the switch for the electric pump.
Thankfully, this was done without any destructive consequences, and I was able
to reassemble it, sealed with a bit of RTV.  Some final position adjusting,
and the system works.  Not well, but it wets the windshield.

I was surprised to find a clog in the hose, rather than up in the nozzle.
Also, even with the good pump, the system did not want to prime itself.  I had
to force water in from the bottle end, and then it worked fine.

I never did find a source for the replacement hose.  Aquarium hose is too
big.

Stu