Re: Welding

To: "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>,
Subject: Re: Welding
From: "Arden Bedell" <sixtysixtiger@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:28:22 -0700
Stu,

    I agree with Steve: you'll be much happier with the results you get from
a good MIG welder than you will from a stick welder, especially if you
intend to use it weld thin sheet steel.  I have a Lincoln Electric WeldPak
100 with the CO2 conversion kit , which is the smallest MIG welder they
make, and it does a great job on patching Tiger sheet metal.

    Bear in mind, though, that there is an appropriate technique needed to
make sure you don't generate so much heat that the metal begins to warp.  I
have a friend who is a body man in England specializing in MGs (forgive me
for mentioning another marque on this list) who showed me the way he does
it.  When he has a section to weld, after tacking the panel in place, he
starts at either end and just applies a spot bead (position the wire, hit
the trigger and hold just long enough to form a small puddle, then quit),
then moves to the opposite end and applies a spot, then splits the distance
between weld in half and applies another weld and so on.  He continues this
pattern until he's finally filled the entire seam.  The idea is to let the
last spot you applied a bead to cool so that you're not warping the sheet
metal.  You have to use a MIG welder on this technique or you'd have to
grind each spot to clean off the slag from the flux shielding.

--Arden