Re: First Crisis - Part Two

To: "Shaun Laughy" <shaunl@home.com>
Subject: Re: First Crisis - Part Two
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:22:02 -0400
Hi Shaun

<How did you clean the tanks/pipes out and what did you coat them with?

Very much the same process as Rich A described.  Just a few differences..

Rootes used a really robust paint on the tank interior, Dispite loads
of flakes I was unsucessfull in finding any solvent that would put any
dent in the paint... Even the local radiator guys tank did nothing
after 2 days immersed..

I used a length of sharp edged shash chain as my abbrasive.
Hand shaking will work but is slow and tiring.  Being lazy when I
did my second Alpine I talked the hardware store paint guy into
shaking each tank on the paint mixer.  Made quite a racket...
but was done in a couple minuites.

I don't remember the brand or details of applying the yellow coating
goop.. I'm sure I followed the manufactures instructions.  It has
been in place for over 15 years now with out problem.

                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754