Re: Tigers and Shelby's

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tigers and Shelby's
From: "Jim D'Amelio" <jimdamelio@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:52:41 -0400
I too am a multiple Shelby owner.  Owning a MK1A and two 1986 Shelby GLHS
#130 and 131.  It's true that some of the Shelby badged Dodge's may not have
been real Shelby's.  But then there are the true Shelby Dodges that are more
Shelby then most of the Shelby Rustangs running around.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, but didn't Shelby turn over assembly to Ford after 1966.  The window
stickers for my GLHS's list the manufacturer as Shelby Automobiles Inc.
Can't get much more Shelby then that, even got the Tiger beat.  Shelby
bought the last 500 GLH's from Dodge, shipped them to his new shop in
Whittier, CA.  Modifications included intercooler, bigger turbo, bigger fuel
injectors, Koni's, Shelby wheels, leather steering wheel, graphics, etc.
Sounds familiar, pretty much like the Mustang.

The Shelby Dodge owners face this same narrow minded attitude (no offence
meant) even from the Mopar clubs.  Because we don't have a big gas guzzling
V-8's, they don't take use serious.  You have to remember these cars are
from an era when there wasn't a whole lot of performance cars out there.
The Turbo Dodges were the best bang for the buck, still are just add fuel
and air and your in the 12's.  Shelby realized this, why can't everyone
else.  I think the cause of the problem was that 1986 Car and Driver ?
magazine cover proclaiming "GLHS whips GT350", it must still has a lot of
people upset.  Oh well, life goes on.

Jim