Re: FW: Scary moment Bonded Shoes

To: adin@frontier.net
Subject: Re: FW: Scary moment Bonded Shoes
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:29:45 EDT
Adin

Today most cars and trucks with drum breaks come
with bonded shoes.  This prevents the rivet heads from
scoring the drums.  It allows for the chowderhead
owner to run his shoes completely down until the
shoes themselves score the drums.  When was
the last time you pulled a drum to check your
linings?  Unless you know a few secret swear
words, getting a drum off can be a chore.

The bonding agents have improved greatly over
the years.  Early shoes did come unglued.
Usually it was heat that caused the problem.
The only source of heat back there is (1)
you are heavy on the breaks like going down
a long hill or (2) you left your handbrake on.
Easy to do.  I once drove from South Bend
back to Chicago with the handbrake on.
Wondered why the performance was down.
The drums were cherry red when I got home
and who can forget that wonderful smell. At
70 mph with top down, I smelled nothing
until I stopped.

I would suggest you make sure that your brake
is not stuck on.  Some Tigers came with
self adjusting rear brakes.  I don't know which.
But my MK IA had manual adjusters.  Perhaps
your self adjusting mechanism is not working
right.

Dave Johnson B382002668(Under repair)