Tiger sill replacement?

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger sill replacement?
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:25:23 -0700
Dear fellow Tiger/Alpine enthusiast,
Many cars and trucks today have a plastic cladding at the sills and lower
doors.
Many 4 wheel drives have similar "Armor Plate Look" (even if it is most
often aluminum) in like areas.
Yet my perception is that in the Tiger/Alpine community the stainless steel
sill covers that are available are frowned upon.
The reason I am looking for a response is that I am doing repairs in the
sill (inner and outer) area. I have replaced all the bad inner metal and
sandblasted that which was in decent shape. However, the prospects of
rustproofing (POR-15) the inner/outer hidden areas and then having it remain
painted after the outer panels are welded in appears nil.
 The previous owner had purchased (but not installed) stainless sill covers
and they came with the car when I purchased it. I am toying with the idea of
just forgoing the regular (rustable) steel outer silI. It appears the inner
sill is really doing all the load bearing and if anything about the outer
sill contributes to the strength it is the frame around the door which I
have retained the original metal appox. an inch below the door. (Note that
when I say sill, I am refering to the area that is only below the door, from
the rear of the front fender to the back edge of the door). First I would
POR-15 the area and then nicely pop rivet on the stainless steel sills with
a proper caulking to prevent moisture penetration. I know that these come
with a "rail" to attach the upper part, but I think a few well placed (and
spaced) small headed rivets would look better.
 The benefits I see are:
A. superior rustproofing
B. access (if ever needed) to the area simply by drilling out the rivets
C. a lot less work
I understand that these sills are often used to hide a bad original, but in
my case it would be used as a replacement. Also my car is a low budget
project. It never will be a $25,000 plus, restored to original car. I'm just
trying to arrest the years of neglect and bring it to the point of being a
respectable, functional vehicle on a very low budget. I do have a set of
replacement regular steel sills, but with my limited welding (MIG-argon/co2)
and body skills in addition to the rustproofing issues I have already stated
leave me hesitant to go that route. I would appreciate your thoughts even if
you disagree with me.
 Thank you, Tom Witt B9470101