Re: Holley Street Avenger

To: Doug Clark <dougmclark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Holley Street Avenger
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:25:38 -0700
Doug Clark wrote:

> Is anyone using this carb. on the Tiger? If so, how do you like the
> performance and what size (CFM) are you using. I've got the 260 but may
> upgrade to a 302 GT-40 motor.
>
> Thanks
> Doug C.

Doug:
I'm running the 570 CFM Street Avenger on top of my hi-po 289 (exact HP
unknown, but it goes real fast!). Holley says it's good up to 350 HP. Once
I installed it, it was an instant improvement over my old 600 CFM vacuum
secondary (1850-1 Holley part #) carb. Much better and faster throttle
response, better pulling power all the way up the RPM curve, smoother idle.
The comparison might not be completely reliable since the old carb was
years old and seeped a bit of fuel from the throttle shaft. However, the
throttle response and pulling power reflect what Holley claims, that they
re-engineered the fuel circuits just to get that result..

Two hassles with changing over the carb were that the old stock Holley has
a single fuel feed for primaries and secondaries, the Street Avenger has
the dual feed. You'll need to buy a dual feed pipe (no big deal) or use the
crummy plastic fittings that come with the carb, and you might also have to
move the coil to clear the dual feed pipe, depending on where it attached
(mine was bracketed to the intake manifold). Once I figured it out from
advice from the Tiger list here, I attached the coil (using the same stock
bracket) to the bolt that holds the ballast resistor down (the lower bolt
of the right stabilizer bar).

I had trouble with the electric choke not working right when I bought the
carb, called Holley, got excellent and fast tech support whenever I called,
and they sent me a new, modified choke housing (free of charge) that solved
the problem. You'll have to play with the fast idle adjustment of the
choke, as their claimed "works right out of the box" turned out to be not
quite right in my case (fast idled too high). I also ended up playing with
secondary springs as the stock spring did not open them at all, and the
lighter spring that comes with the kit wasn't much better. I finally used
the lightest spring I had (from a Holley spring kit assortment) and that
has worked out great.

Here's a "modified" tip I got from Holley about telling how far, if at all,
your vacuum secondaries are opening. They suggest attaching a paperclip to
the secondary "post" (the piece that comes out of the bottom of the
secondary spring housing, then checking out how far down the post the clip
is when you get back from your test drive. I couldn't get that paper clip
to stay put and instead tied a piece of string around the post, not too
tightly but just tight enough to keep it at the top of the post with a
little bit of friction, just under the housing. Before you drive, test it
out by manually getting the secondaries to open and you'll see how it
works. Then take it out and drive real fast by nailing the pedal on second
and third gear (of course breaking no exhibition of speed laws) and check
out where the string is on the post when you get back, which will indicate
how far the secondaries opened. Pretty cool, and you won't have to wonder
about that all the time anymore.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A