RE: Oil Filter Quality?

To: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>, <twojohnsons@home.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil Filter Quality?
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:10:39 -0700
Al, Stu, Listers,

For those that missed this article, it is still posted on the Web. Here's
the link:

http://members.nbci.com/_XOOM/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html

What is interesting are the changes made since May, 1999 when I made a
hardcopy of the whole article. Specifically, the harsh statements about Fram
filters have been redacted from the main article (there is a link to his
"conclusions"). One can only wonder at the reason for this. For example,
under "Fram", the 5/99 version said the following:

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter
(the radioactive orange cans) is one of the worst out there. These filters
are manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc. Please do not buy these filters. By
boycotting it, we may be able to cause some change. I have personally had
one of these filters fail and actually cause engine damage due to bits of
paper and glue floating around in the engine. For some inside dirt of Fram
filters, see this email from an Allied Signal production engineer (Link)"

Obviously the author had a bad experience, which was probably a good part of
the motivation for this study. I don't know how he got the Allied Signal
email. I did not keep a copy of it, nor do I remember even reading it at the
time. Allied Signal may have threatened legal action if the email and other
offending statements weren't taken off the Website. Or maybe, he just got
tired of the backlash from his readers.

As it stands now without the railing against Fram, the article is actually
pretty informative - at least as far as it goes. There are no functional
tests, such as actually flowing oil through and measuring filtering
efficiency, etc., but I for one am inclined to accept his general
conclusions about which filters are the best and the best for the money. On
the other hand, not ever having had a problem with filter failure in all the
years and various brands I have used, I don't take the choice of filter
nearly as seriously as the author, Russ Knize, does. If you have specific
questions of Knize, you might email him directly at
mailto:minimopar@xoommail.com