Oil Pressure Fluctuations

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Pressure Fluctuations
From: "Doug Clark" <dougmclark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:50:32 +0000
I'm having a problem with my oil press. The reading on the gauge is jumping
up and sometimes going way past the highest reading (off scale). As far as I
can tell the pressure either reads at what I would consider the "correct"
value for the rpm and temp. but then randomly jumps to levels well beyond
the highest reading on the gauge (80psi?). My question is, what would cause
the oil pressure to be or read so very high. I always thought there was a
pressure relief built into the pump so it couldn't blow out the gaskets or
bearings? If I'm right then the gauge or tubing must be at fault. Any advice
will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Doug Clark