My web site

To: "tigers@autox. team. net (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: My web site
From: "Olson, Mark W" <mark.w.olson@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:04:30 -0700
All,

Thanks to all of you who noticed and told me that my web site has been down.

I'd like to take a little of your email bandwidth to explain why it is still
down.  My web site is hosted at Intel (where I work) by the corporate demo
group (hence the corpdemo.com domain name), a group I managed for over 6
years.  These are the people who go to marketing events at venues all over
the world to set up demonstrations of the very latest computer and
communications technology.  They are capable of making the flakiest stuff
work and work like it was perfect.  (Not that Intel stuff is flaky, they
just get to work with a lot of pre-production technology.)

These people have spent the last week in New York City, near ground zero.
After the terrorist attack, it became clear that a lot of the infrastructure
in the area was completely destroyed.  This team of people assembled two
semi-trailer loads of computers, generators and satellite communications
gear, and took off for New York.  In conjunction with the Red Cross and the
City of New York, they set up the trucks and got internet links working for
the relief workers in the area.  They also had to move their trucks and set
them up again after they had been initially set up in the wrong place.  For
the last week, they have been providing free 24x7 email, web and
conferencing services to rescue workers from all over the US, helping them
to communicate with their families back home.  The rescue workers have
really appreciated this service, as this duty has been very hard on them.

I'm pretty sure that my web site was hit with the nimda virus and that is
why it is off line.  And the guys who maintain that server for me are busy
right now.  I feel that what they are doing is higher priority.  So I guess
I'll just stand by and wait till they get back.

Thanks for letting me brag a little bit about my crew and what they are
doing to help in New York.

God Bless America.

Mark