Re: 215 Buick/Nash/Morgan/some Tiger Content

To: "Rich Atherton" <aka.gumby@gte.net>
Subject: Re: 215 Buick/Nash/Morgan/some Tiger Content
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:26:55 -0400
Folks,
        All this talk about the Morgan 215...My second ever "Hot rod"
attempt in 1962 was a 1961 Buick 215 with and Olds 215 flywheel and transmission
in a Nash Metropolitan.  Used the stock 4.88 rear end and blew out
the spider gears while showing off to my frinds.  That was OK as the
MG Miget or Austen Heally Sprite had identical rears at a junk yard
price of around $50.  With tiny tires, low weight and the 4.88 gears
I could accelerate like a bat out of hell. Top speed, RPM limited was
around 90.  Had an excellent race for about 50 miles with a new Mercadies
across the Rocky mountains.  Had terrible vibration. Do not know if the
drive shaft or the flywheel was wrong.  Vibration caused my header-tailpipe
coupling to come loose, the starter to come loose and eventually
(as I was driving from California to Oklahoma) the bell housing to crack into.
I replaced the bell housing and left the Nash at my father's house as I
proceeded to Viet Nam.  My Father "sold" the car to an Army guy at Fort
Sill, Oklahoma with a promise to "pay".  The $#@!& Army guy never payed.
Never saw the car again.  So if you try a 215 (in an Alpine) be sure you balance
the flywheel to the motor.  Neat little motor.
         Later bought a 215 Buick Special after Nam.  The auto transmission
crapped out and AMCCO "fixed It". Drove 10 blocks and had gears on the road.
Second AMCCO "lifetime" repair was unable to repair it.  Two other
transmission shops
also unable to repair. (DO NOT USE A 215 BUICK AUTO TRANS FOR A CONVERSION.)
Towed it to a local Ford dealer and traded it in on my 1967
Tiger II in 1969.  Still driving that Tiger II, now slightly " Hot Rodded".

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others